Coach: Michael George
0410 394 541

Assistant Coach: Sam Gvodvic

Team Manager: Pep d’alessandri
0431 331 785

Trainer: Emily McKie
Trainer: Cam McKie

Team Page Editor: Steve Marmo
[email protected]

Photographer: Emily McKie
[email protected]

The Team

Player numbers
1 Alex Vocisano
2 Freddy Marmo
3 Chiron Scacciante
4 Rocket Hope
5 Jack Smith
7 Felix Kneipp
8 Ben Holehouse
9 Iggy Gvozdic
11 Connor Brethereton
12 Oscar Slizys
13 Angus McDonald
14 Josef Hicks
16 Lachie George
17 Noah Atkinson
18 Chris Oliver
19 Will McManus
20 Tully Dalessandri Weis
21 Charlie Hooper
22 Henry Harrison
23 Duncan McKie
26 Seth Vozinidis
27 Spike Hope

Round 10 V Templestowe away at Templestowe Reserve June 24

AT OUR last visit to Templestowe Reserve, the Royboys displayed what they are capable of with a comfortable away win somewhat overshadowed by Tully’s visit to hospital.
But today, the Dockers turned the tables, finally breaking the shackles of our boy’s gallant defensive efforts to record a comfortable six-goal victory.
The first quarter was an arm-wrestle with the defensive skills of both teams holding sway.
A three-way gang tackle combining Oscar, Alex and Vernon resulted in a long range shot from Duncan which unfortunately went the wrong side to get the scoring under way.
Co-captain Seth put in a huge effort against, unusually enough, an opponent bigger than he. But it was the entire team which pleased coach Michael as they carried his instructions out to the letter.
They sat on their man, they tackled and chased and they were led beautifully again by Seth, Fred and Chris in the middle and Felix, Tully and Ben in defence.
A behind each was the result.
In the second, our forward line of Connor, Josef, Chiron, Charlie and Rocket showed plenty of creativity and desire. And Ben continued his good form with a diving tackle which saved a certain goal. Ben was aided by some terrific defensive efforts from Jack but the momentum swung when Alex (and Vernon?) was crunched from behind sending the will-o-the-wisp to the bench for the remainder.
Templestowe managed a couple of quick ones to see them take a 2.3 – 15 to 0.2 – 2 lead at the long break.
The second-half began with a towering mark to Tully who had been moved to the forward line. Noah was also having an influence having been given ruck duties. But the highlight was a 30 metre chase down by Felix who mowed down his man just as he was about to kick for goal in one of the year’s stand out individual efforts.
That was almost matched by Duncan minutes later when he refused to say die and jumped as high as he could to touch the ball while on the mark just 6 metres from goal. It’s just those sort of efforts which win tight footy matches and earn the respect of your team mates and coaches. Well done you two!
But alas these efforts failed to improve our score board position and the final quarter began with us down 3.4 – 22 to 0.2 – 2.
Over the season we have been the inverse of the Gold Coast Suns with our last quarters full of Royboy Footy, but today (just like last week) another number 4 took the game away from us in a flash.
The Dockers slammed on 3.1 to our nothing in a disappointing end to what had been, in the words of Lou Richards and Peter Landy, a real ring-a-ding-dong-battle.
So we head for the mid-season break on a bit of a downer, but the point is EVERY Royboy has improved. The chasing and tackling asked for by Michael was exemplified by efforts from Iggy, Angus and Will today. But our opponents have improved as well and the standard gets higher every week.
Just a little change in luck will see our second half deliver more wins than losses and finals beckon for the Royboys.

Round 9 V Parade St Damiens at Ramsden Oval

UP FOR the battle against the league leaders this week, but unfortunately, and true to Royboy form, a lack lustre first quarter saw the boys have to battle away for the remaining three.
In weather that made the previous rounds’ pea-souper at Doncaster seem positively balmy, a howling 8-goal gale greeted the lads but in a stout defensive effort kept them to just 5.3 at quarter time.
However our scoreline of 0.0 didn’t reflect the effort put in by the key position defenders in Chris and birthday boy and co-captain Freddy who repelled wave after wave of attacks.They were ably supported in the guts by Rocket who continued his fantastic BOG form from Round 7.
Fred’s co-captain Chiron got things rolling in the second with a snap for a point that raised hopes of a another stirring comeback. But the half-time score of 5.3 – 33 to 0.1 – 1 kind of put a dampener on said hopes.
Coach Michael maintained his enthusiasm during the half-time speech and reminded the lads of their second halve efforts. But the half-time highlight for the boys was probably discovering that yes indeed there was hot water coming from the faucets in the loos.
During the third, a free to Alex saw him drive it long to the pocket where Joseph, normally a marking forward, showed great wet-weather smarts to rove the pack and snap our first major. The Royboys were off!
Then a glorious tap from Seth to Chiron sent us forward where a dry-weather pick up and pirouette by Rocket got the ball to Henry who’s 20 metre snap doubled our goal quota.
But the final score of 12.4 – 76 to 2.4 – 16 showed that the ladder leaders were busily doing their ladder-leading type stuff as well. Their number 4 finished with 6 of their 12 in another display of how good an Under 11 league player can be. The standard of some of these kids is just phenomenal.
From our point of view, three of our little budding champs continued their fine form again with Fred, Rocket, Chris and Felix holding their heads high.
Again a slow start saw the boys chasing tails. As parents perhaps we need to find a better breakfast regime to ensure the boys are champing at the bit when the siren sounds.

Round 7 Fitzroy V Camberwell Sharks

AFTER a couple of unlucky and gallant losses, the Royboys got back on the winners list on the wide-expanses of the Ramsden Street Oval last Sunday.
The boys were literally kicking the dew off the ground when told that Alex and Spike would be co-captains for the clash with the Camberwell Sharks.
But the Sharks were to defy their last placing on the ladder and force the Roys to continue their penchant for the hard and accountable to take the four points.
But the game was to start with a bang for us after we won the toss and kicked to the city end with a slight favorable breeze.
After a terrific intercept mark, Chris kicked forward to Tully who picked up from where he left off last week, played on (as usual) and kicked truly for the first of the match within 90 seconds.
After that Felix did some felix-like things to get the ball to Josef, who was providing great presence up forward, who got it thru a pack to Connor on the line who kicked the Roys’ second.
It was an ominous start for the Sharks, but they immediately lifted their intensity and matched our lads for the remainder of the quarter – the wide expanses swallowing both sides’ lads on the outer flank until the siren sounded with our two goal lead intact.
The second quarter began with the Shark’s version of a number 9 (see last weeks story), albeit number 24, taking off for the first of his many “Manassa Runs” (Google it), taking two bounces over 40 metres and kicking their first unopposed.
A wonderful one-man effort from Spike saw him get the ball to Chris who played on and kicked to where Jack had managed to put himself in a great position, marked the ball, played on and put the lead back out to 2 goals.
The game once again became a battle of defences with some outstanding grunt work from Chiron, Lachie, Ben and Charlie while Seth, Noah, Josef, Henry and Rocket controlled the skies giving our little fellas plenty to work with.
But the match tightened up after a free turned into a goal for the sharks just seconds before the siren, which saw us ahead 3.4 22 to 2.3 15 at the long break.
The third was another attritional battle, the highlight of which came when Seth – who was having a blinder in the ruck – got on the end of another intercept mark by Chris, roved beautifully and snapped around his body to re-establish a two goal plus lead.
Your correspondents’ indecipherable notes preclude him from describing the Sharks’ reply, however the 3/4 time score of 4.7 to 3.4 prove they actually did indeed get one.
The final stanza was a classic example of Royboy Footy, with some outstanding crunching tackles from the tackling twins – Ben and Fred – and some manic attack on the ball and opposition from Oscar and Iggy. Another highlight was the Rance-like attack on the ball by Connor when he stood alone and attacked the ball averting a certain goal for the Sharks.
But it was rather fitting that the coup-de-grace was delivered by Rocket when on the end of some inspirational stuff by Charlie. It must be said that the work between Rocket and the Castagna-like Alex was something to watch. Certainly a break out game for Alex.
So a bit of a grinding victory, but we were made to play hard by a never-say-die effort from Camberwell, and like most weeks, each and every player had to go when he needed to to ensure victory and keep us within one game of the four.
Lookout Donaster!

Fitzroy – 5.9 – 39 Camberwell 3.4 – 22

Best – Seth, Alex, Rocket, Iggy, Chris, Felix
Goals – 1 each to Tully, Connor, Jack, Seth, Rocket.

Round 6 Fitzroy 2 V Fitzroy 3

What is it about number 9s?

For the second week running our Roy-boys went up against an opposing team with a player wearing number 9 on his back who almost single-handedly put us to the sword.

This week it was Roman Walker’s turn to be BOG against our lads, winning the ball in the centre (despite the close checking of Freddy Marmo), delivering neat short passes inside from the boundary and of course being involved in last-quarter goals to put paid to our fantastic last-quarter charge.

The first quarter resembled a Saints v Swans match circa 2009 with both defences on top and fierce clashes all over the ground.

The highlight was some good work from Felix Kneipp to Alex Vocisano who passed inside to Duncan McKie who snapped a ripper from about 20 metres out to get the boys a goal in front.

But the joy was short lived after Tully D’Alessandri-Weis, who was having another blinder in the ruck, appeared to be dragged off the ball while trying to take his kick after yet another mark. The ball was forced forward and resulted in a goal to have the Roy3 team take a one-point lead.

But the scores were all tied at 1.2 each after Alex Vocisano’s terrific snap from 20m out rolled and rolled and rolled towards goal only to veer away at the end and hit the post.

Tully was untouchable in the ruck, Rocket Hope’s work on the wing stood out as did the ever-reliable rock-of-Gibraltar, otherwise known as Chris Oliver.

Coach Michael was very happy with the boys’ efforts at quarter time and said the scores would come in the second if they maintained their effort with the wind.

But alas it was not to be.

The boys started off with the first point to take the slenderest of leads, before the number 9 curse raised its head.

Roman Walker took on the best our boys could offer and inspired his team in a purple patch that saw them kick the next three goals of the match. Despite the continuing good form of Tully in the ruck and the defensive colossus that is Chris, the boys went to the long break down 1.3 to 4.4. At least Fitzroy was in the lead.

The third quarter started where the second ended, with the number 9 curse continuing with Roman again snapping truly and the floodgates threatening to open. But our lads had other ideas.

From a kick in Freddy marked about 30 out and saw Ben Holehouse on his own in the pocket. From the mark Ben kicked forward to where Henry Harrison marked and kicked truly.

Out of the next centre contest Felix forced the ball to centre-half-forward where a pirouetting Spike Hope got the ball to foot and into the arms of a running Jack Smith who brought the boys back into the match, trailling by less than two goals.

But the momentum was lost somehow (number 9 anyone?) and our opponents kicked the next two majors to take a strong 25-point lead into the last quarter.

But the boys kept their heads up at ¾ time and vowed to live up to the “tackle and chase” creed they’ve shown all year. And did they or what?

Felix capitalised on his increased output and snapped truly from the pocket to bring us back in it. He then got the ball to Ben and on to the ever-running Rocket and back to Ben who kicked truly to bring the margin back to less then two goals. But then guess what happened?

Up popped number 9, taking a hanger over Freddy and then going forward to kick the sealer before being involved in the last as well.

The boys have had a tough last couple of weeks coming up against teams who play as honest and strong as our lads, but both have had one exceptional player who we have been unable to hold. Not for want of trying on our behalf.

Well, at least Fitzroy won.

Fitzroy 3: 9.8 – 62 to Fitzroy 2 5.5 – 35

Goals: Ben 2, Duncan 1 Henry 1, Jack 1.

Best: Tully, Rocket, Chris, Felix, Ben and a special mention to Oscar Slizys who continues to improve and provided some terrific defensive efforts.

Round V Fitzroy

Round 11 V “OtherRoys”

A LOVELY winter morning, albeit a tad windy, greeted all at our home ground with our boys needing a win to have any mathematical chance of playing finals.
But the task was a big one, up against the ladder leaders in the “OtherRoys”.
The boys got off to a fantastic start with a blinder of defensive first quarter. Kicking against a four goal breeze, we kept the opposition to just the one goal.
We were a little unlucky not to have a couple of goals but the four-point deficit was a wonderful effort. Now for some goals with the wind!
But the script didn’t go to plan in the second. While keeping us scoreless they slammed on 3.5 to head in to the long break with a commanding 21-point lead.
And it was the ol’ nemesis of a player with a number 9 on his guernsey doing the damage again with Roman kicking them from everywhere.
This was despite the efforts of Duncan who, filling the role of the much missed Chris, repelled repeated forward thrusts by the ladder leaders and who was our stand out in the first half.
Things appeared ominous, but in a repeat of the first quarter, the boys gave themselves every chance of a come-from-behind-victory holding the “OtherRoys” to a single goal while kicking with the breeze.
The engine room got going with Felix and Oscar lifting their output and there were some fantastic individual efforts especially from Jack who marked, tackled and ran his heart out.
So down 0.2 to 4.6- 30 at ¾ time. Difficult but not impossible if the efforts of the third could be repeated.
But the first three goals all went the wrong way with Roman continuing on his merry way with his third and fourth for the match. Bloody number 9s!
But then something magical happened.
The quintet of Fred, Tully, Connor and Felix suddenly went berserk. Felix snapped a ripper from the boundary line to finally bring up the twin calicos for us. Back to the middle where Fred booted it forward to Tully who took a Tully special and booted long to Henry who passed to Connor (who had handballed to Felix for the first goal) and we had two in a minute.
Back to the middle. Again Fred won the clearance and got it to (again) Connor who passed to Tully and we had three in a minute. And then the siren went.
But an admission from your correspondent.
The previous night Tully, Felix, Chiron, Connor and Alex had stayed at Freddy’s house celebrating his belated 11th birthday. We irresponsibly fed them copious quantities of pancakes for brekky including some with ice cream and chocolate sauce. It was obvious the effects of the pancakes didn’t kick in until there was three minutes to go.
Clare and I apologise.

More News