2016 Season End
September 21, 2016
Message from the President
In the blink of an eye our children are another 6 months older and, I can confidently say, all the better for being part of the Fitzroy Junior Football Club/Village.
In her recent acceptance speech, our 2016 Club Person of the Year, Jodie Munro, quoted the ancient African proverb “It takes a Village to raise a child”. I reckon she was spot on.
As parents we look for an environment where our children can grow and flourish; where they are challenged and learn to take risks. As a Club/Village, we help them search within themselves to recognise their potential. As mentors and role models, together we provide a cocoon around our children that provides stimulation, opportunity and responsibility … and they learn to play football!
As parents, though, we also embark on our own journey: the privilege that comes with being the Village elders. There is conventional wisdom that is handed down, but we have to learn together with our other families the path to be travelled. Just as our children grow, so do we … and we get to have a kick of the football!
Highlights this year for our Club include:
- Our inaugural Under 10 girls’ team.
- All four girls’ teams capped out in numbers, standing girls football in great stead for the future.
- Family friendly themed Roys Recovery’s – a place to make a destination on a Sunday evening.
- Our children taking on umpiring duties.
- The development of our Culture and Conduct policies which contributed to us not having one League disciplinary tribunal appearance.
- On the back of being the first Club to have 3 Colts teams in 2015, having 3 Colts teams in 2016 coming top 2 – a testament to the Clubs development from 10 year old boys.
- 24 teams with 570 players.
Travelling around to watch the games, I loved watching our players, irrespective of their aptitude, run around each Sunday wearing the Fitzroy jumper with commitment and enthusiasm.
To our committed coaches and team managers and the support of our many parent volunteers, I extend a heartfelt THANK YOU to all of you.
To our sponsors the Clifton Hill/North Fitzroy Community Bendigo Bank, Tassal Salmon, Chemist Warehouse, Brisbane Lions FC, Donnini’s Restaurant, Fitzroy Bowls Club, Fitzroy Rotary and Jonathan’s the Butcher. THANK YOU.
Finally, to our dedicated Committee members who do so much work behind the scenes: projects and outcomes that we take for granted. Again, THANK YOU.
Keep an eye out for our new interactive website due to be launched shortly.
While you get out the cricket bats, tennis racquets, swimming cozzies and lawn mowers, we now go into the season review and strategic planning for 2017. You maybe interested in joining the Committee or assisting in various voluntary roles – let us know at [email protected]
I am proud to be a part of this Village.
And remember – you ARE the Fitzroy Junior Football Club.