Anzac Day – Roys Recovery Wrap
May 1, 2019
A special day of commemoration in the football calendar. We gathered at the Fitzroy Bowling Club for our Anzac Day Roys Recovery. Check out all the Anzac Day Game Photos.
Two of our Under 15 players paid respect with their Anzac ode of remembrance words
We meet here today, not to glorify war or praise victors, but to remember those who have served our country during times of conflict and crisis, and to reflect upon their selfless sacrifice.
They shall grow not old …
As we that are left grow old…
Age shall not weary them…
Nor the years condemn…
At the going down of the sun…
And in the morning…
We will remember them
Mick Creati – Fitzroy Trumpeter
The Last Post was played, followed by a minutes silence.
LEST WE FORGET
Phil Murdoch – Fitzroy President
Recited a letter by Jack Cooper sent back in 1916.
Thank you to our three Under 13 guest presenters who shared their own family history.
- Grandfathers Uncle Daniel Reid
- World War 2 North West Africa, Algeria, Tunisia & Europe
- Flying Spitfire
Iggy Gorman Andrews
- Grandfather: William Bill Gorman
- World War 2 in New Guinea
- George (Yorky) Shaw – Charlotte’s Great Grandmother’s Cousin World War 1
- Charlotte participated in the MLC Marching Band on Anzac Day